Charming hotel in the heart of the Bordeaux vineyards
The Hotel restaurant Château de la Tour enjoys a privileged location at the gates of Bordeaux, on a territory crossed by the Garonne river and by the Entre-deux-mers wine route on the right bank and the Graves and Sauternes wine route on the left bank.
Close to Saint-Emilion, Sauternes and the bastide of Cadillac... Appelations which unquestonably refer to the reputation of the great Bordeaux wines.
A facility located in the heart of great UNESCO sites
The famous village of Saint-Emilion
The wine road is the prerequisite for novices as for conoisseurs.
Saint-Emilion is a medieval city with a spiritual, commercial and wine life which has to be explored through its hillocks or escalettes, narrow steep streets leading to either sides of this ampitheater-shaped village.
To discover : the Hermitage of Saint-Emilion, the chapels and churches, the catacombs, the King's keep and so many other listed historical sites. Saint-Emilion is also a landscape of vineyards listed as a UNESCO heritage. Visits of wineries, explanations of the savoir-faire and wine tastings... accompanied by passionate winegrowers.
The citadel of Blaye
The Vauban Bolt is a three-point system of defence unique in France that protects the estuary, which was designed by the famous engineer Sébastien Vauban.
The guided tour of the citadel of Blaye presents this Vauban defense system, the evolution of the site since Antiquity, and the life inside the fortress during the Middle Ages and the XVIIth century. The tour also leads you into the secret underground tunnels of the fortress.
The Sauve Majeure abbey
The Sauve Majeure abbey is a masterpiece of the Romanesque art. Built between the XIth and the XIIIth centuries, it presents exceptionnal scupltures and vestiges and offers a landscape untouched by time. Surrounded by a large meadow and beautiful trees, the open-air site of the abbey spreads over more than 2 hectares enclosed by an outer wall.
The Bazas cathedral
The Bazas cathedral was built during the XIIIth and XIVth centuries on the model of great gothic cathedrals of the north of France. The cathedral was largely devastated, but the portals, the most beautiful example of gothic statuary nearby Bordeaux, were spared.
The central portal is dedicated to the Last Judgement and to the history of John the Baptist ; the lateral portals are dedicated to the Virgin and Saint Peter. The cathedral is listed as a UNESCO world heritage site for being on the Camino of Santiago de Compostella (1998).
The area arround Bordeaux
Beyond wine discoveries, the Bordeaux region has many activities for you to discover.
Located between the Arcachon bay, the Dune of Pyla and the entrance of the Landes forest, this destination is a promise of various picturesque landscapes, such as the Cap Ferret and its fishermen's cabins, the fortified medieval villages of Cadillac and Saint-Macaire, or even the Gallo-Roman villas and thermal baths...
The city of Bordeaux
Nearby, the city of Bordeaux is full of interesting monuments to visit, such as the Grand Théatre of Bordeaux, considered one of the most beautiful of France, or the famous Place de la Bourse, enhanced by the Fountain of the Three Graces.
A rich heritage environment
The ducal Château of Cadillac (facing the hotel) was built at the very beginning of the XVIIth century by Jean-Louis Nogaret de La Valette, Duke of Epernon. This favourite of Henri III, creator of the Captains of Gascony, provided to this little city of the Southwest France an almost royal residence, representative of the classical french architecture.
The Château of Roquetaillade (Mazères) : listed historical monument in 1840, this site is composed of 2 fortified castles from the XIIth and XIVth centuries. To discover : ramparts, towers and keeps, but mostly the unique interiors, "masterpiece" of Viollet Le Duc.
The Château of Malle : in the heart of Sauternes vineyards, this château seduces by its Renaissance architecture and its remarkable Italian-styled gardens. Wander in the middle of its 6 hectares of Florentine-inspired terrace gardens and delicate statues.
The Château of Cazeneuve, priviliged residence of the lords of Albret and then fiefdom of the French King Henri IV and the Queen Margot.
The villages of La Réole and Saint-Macaire, in the middle of a territory listed Lands of Art and History.
The sports activities
The region offers a large range of sports activities :
- Quad at the property of Château Pargade in Soulignac (10 min), in the heart of Bordeaux vineyards « Entre Coteaux et Garonne », a natural equipped area on 60 hectares, a circuit open to all reserved for the safe practice of quad and 4x4.
- Treetop adveture course at Lac aux branches in Laromet (5 min), with a zipline which cross the lake !
- Canoe, at the water sports centre of Bommes.
- Water skiing and wake board on the lake of Virelade (10 min)
- Tennis, courts located in Loupiac (2 min)
- Golf des Graves et du Sauternais located in Saint Pardon de Conques (15 min)
- Paintball and Karting for groups and seminar in Bordeaux (30 min)
- Surf on the Garonne : to know the hours of passage of the mascaret wave, check on www.destination-garonne.com
The activities for kids
- The visit of the Château of Cadillac with touchscreen tablets available for children
- The Exotic Farm in Cadaujac : more than 1000 domestic animals
- Zoos : zoo of Pessac, zoo of La Teste (Arcachon Bay),
- Zoo of domestic animals and small amusement park: La coccinelle in Gujan Mestras (Arcachon Bay)
- The Kid park in Gujan Mestras
- The aquatic park Aqualand in Gujan Mestras
- The Walibi amusement park in Agen
- The discovery of heritage following the Pistes de Robin
To know more, check on : www.destination-garonne.com